Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Traditional Flan


My coworker made this flan and it was so good.  Of course I asked for the recipe and I finally made it for my mom's birthday.  The flan was rich, creamy and delicious.  This flan has only 5 ingredients too, how simple is that?  The only thing you should definitely be careful to do is to not burn the sugar.  Also, the water bath is very important so that your flan doesn't burn while baking.  Other than that, you should be fine.  My family enjoyed this flan, even my uncle who is on a diet couldn't resist!  By the way, we took my mom to Penang in Bethesda, MD for dinner per my cousin's suggestion and I can't wait to go back there.  They serve Malaysian, Chinese and Indian dishes, and everything we got was amazing.  If you follow me on instagram you would have seen all the dishes we picked.  Enjoy!




Traditional Flan

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Fill a larger baking dish with water about halfway, such as a 13x9 rectangular dish, this will create a water bath.  Allow to preheat in the oven to warm the water.


In a saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt sugar until it turns into a golden liquid, like caramel.


Pour melted sugar into a 9” or 8” square (or round) glass baking dish.  Try to evenly coat the bottom and sides. 


In a large bowl, beat eggs.  Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla.


Pour egg mixture into baking dish.   

Place the smaller baking dish into the larger baking dish/water bath.


Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes.  


Allow to cool completely.  Serve by carefully inverting onto a serving plate.


Serves 8 to 10.