Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chicken Paprikash

This Chicken Paprikash dish is a traditional Hungarian dish.  It is basically paprika chicken.  I made a variation of the many recipes I came across for this dish.   You would traditionally serve Chicken Paprikash with galuska/nokedli (Hungarian dumplings) but I don't have a spaetzle maker.   I served the Chicken Paprikash over egg noodles since I already had them.  I need to buy a spaetzle maker soon!  This would be great over rice too.   The sauce is so delicious that you will want to drink it too.  Chicken Paprikash is a perfect comfort food for fall.  Next time I will try to make a more traditional version of this dish with the galuska.  Enjoy!


Chicken Paprikash
Ingredients
1½ pounds chicken thighs (and/or chicken breasts)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons paprika, divided
1 onion, diced
1 pepper, diced (I used a hot pepper.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium.)
½ cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)


Directions

Season chicken with 1 tablespoon paprika.


Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil and butter.  


Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on both sides.  Remove chicken from pan and set chicken aside.


Add onions, pepper and garlic to pan.  Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.    

Stir in tomato paste.


Add in chicken broth and 1 tablespoon paprika.  Stir to combine.  


Add chicken back in and cover pan.  Cook on low for 20 to 25 minutes.


Stir in yogurt (or sour cream) before serving.


Serves 4 to 6.