Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Creamy Piquillo Pepper and Chickpea Soup with Chicken



I am super excited to be a part of The Bitten Word's Cover-to-Cover Challenge and I was placed on Team Food and Wine.  My assigned recipe was the Creamy Piquillo Pepper and Chickpea Soup with Chicken.  I didn't know what piquillo peppers were but I was able to find a jar of roasted piquillo peppers in the international section of my local grocery store.  They are sweet red peppers originally from Spain.  According to the recipe, the total time to make the soup should be 7 minutes.   This is a simple recipe if you have all the ingredients already.  Of course I end up taking more time than that since I actually made my own hummus (click here for the recipe).  Also, it took me an extra 10 minutes to shred the rotisserie chicken.  I really enjoyed this soup, it is flavorful and delicious.  If you like roasted red pepper hummus, then you will like this soup.  This soup will pair nicely with a side salad if you want a light lunch or dinner.  Enjoy!


Creamy Piquillo Pepper and Chickpea Soup with Chicken

Ingredients
1 cup drained piquillo peppers (reserve ¼ cup cut into thin strips)
¾ cup hummus
2 cups chicken stock (or beef stock)
½ cup cooked white rice
1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon parsley, dried (or 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leave parsley)
olive oil and hot sauce, for serving (optional)


Directions

In a food processor, combine the whole piquillos, hummus, and stock.  Puree until smooth.



In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add soup, rice, and chicken.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring soup to a boil.  


Garnish soup with parsley, sliced piquillos, olive oil and hot sauce if desired.


Serves 4.