Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Homemade Hummus


Homemade is always better and I finally tried to make my own hummus.  Hummus is a middle eastern dip or spread that is often served with bread or vegetables.  I love hummus with pita bread or pita chips.  It is also great as a spread with a falafel sandwich.  My favorite vegetables to dip hummus with are sliced bell peppers and/or cucumbers.  I have been wanting to make hummus for so long that I bought tahini over a month ago just so I could make some.  It was a success!  What I love about this hummus recipe is that there is a nice light lemon and garlic flavor, feel free to add more or less to your taste.  You just throw all the ingredients in the food processor and its done in a minute or two.  I tried the hummus with Terra vegetable chips today and it was awesome.  If you haven't tried these vegetable chips, you should, they are surprisingly delicious.  I hope you try to make your own homemade hummus soon, its so easy and likely more healthy than store bought.  Enjoy!


Homemade Hummus

Ingredients
15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
¼ cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
3 tablespoons olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

 
Optional
paprika
olive oil

Directions

In a food processor, place beans and garlic and pulse until chopped.  Add in remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.  Scrape down sides as needed.



 
If desired, drizzle additional olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle with paprika.


 
Serve chilled or at room temperature.  Store covered in refrigerator.