Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken


I love using my slow cooker and this Santa Fe Chicken is a super simple recipe.  I am pretty sure Santa Fe Chicken was originally a casserole type dish but making it in a slow cooker is so much easier.  I have seen several slow cooker recipes where you only need chicken and salsa, but I wanted to add a little bit more.  I already had a can of black beans and a can of corn, and those work well together.  Feel free to add in kidney beans or pinto beans instead of black beans and use your favorite salsa.  Prepare the ingredients the night before and just turn on your slow cooker in the morning.  You will have a great dinner by the time you are home.  The shredded chicken is so versatile too.  I made a little bowl of the chicken, topped it with a poached egg, shredded cheddar cheese, and plain greek yogurt; and I served it with some tortilla chips.  It was delicious!  Also,  I made a bunch of burritos with the leftover shredded chicken to freeze for future meals.  I'll try to post that recipe tomorrow. 




Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chicken

Ingredients
1 ½  pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs (5 pieces)
15 ounce can black beans, drained
15 ounce can corn, drained
16 ounce jar salsa (I used Desert Pepper Trading Co.’s Salsa Del Rio – Medium.)
salt and pepper


Directions

Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.


Place chicken thighs in slow cooker.


Top with drained black beans and corn.

Stir in salsa.



Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours, until chicken is cooked through.  The chicken should shred easily just by stirring after cooking.


This is great served over rice, in a burrito/taco, or as a sandwich.


Serves 6 or more.