Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Curry Coconut Chicken


I love coconut anything these days.  My current favorite coffee flavors for K-cups are coconut mocha and island coconut.  I usually bring coffee to work so I have been interchanging those two K-cup flavors every other day.  I also had a mocha coconut frappucino not too long ago at Starbucks.  Too bad there is no "light" version of the mocha coconut frapp or I'd be getting it more often!   There once was a time I despised coconut flavors and then one day I happened to start liking coconut.  This is how I came upon this curry coconut chicken recipe.  I altered this recipe from allrecipes.com and it came out great.  I tried out a green curry for the first time so instead of using 2 tablespoons of curry, I did 1 tablespoon of regular curry and 1 tablespoon of green curry.   I found the green curry on sale at World Market, so you should check out their spices section next time if you can't find it at the grocery store.  I served this curry coconut chicken over white rice.  How good does that look?


Curry Coconut Chicken

Ingredients
1 ½ - 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder (I used 1 tablespoon green curry.)
½ onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
13.5 ounce can coconut milk
28 ounce can crushed tomato sauce
3 ounce tomato paste (½ of typical 6 ounce can.)
3 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Directions

Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Add oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat.   Add in curry powder and stir to mix with oil for a minute or two. 



Add in onions and garlic, stir into curry oil and cook for a minute or two.


Add in chicken and stir to coat with curry oil.  Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.



Add in tomato sauce, tomato paste, coconut milk, and sugar.  Stir to combine.



Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.





Serves 4 to 6.