Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Korean Spicy Pickled Cucumbers


Need a cool refreshing side dish?  These Korean Spicy Pickled Cucumbers are your answer!  My friend Hoang gave me this recipe after I saw her post a picture of it on facebook.  (BTW - are you following me on facebook?) The recipe I'm posting lists the original ingredients but I adjusted mine a bit.  I used only 1 teaspoon of chili powder since I can't handle too much spice and I used toasted sesame oil.  I also omitted the scallion only because I didn't have any but I will definitely add it in next time.  This recipe is versatile, I can see trying honey or agave in place of the brown sugar too.  Overall this is a really delicious and easy side dish, perfect for warm weather.  Enjoy!  And thank you Hoang if you are reading this!


Korean Spicy Pickled Cucumbers
 
Ingredients
2 or 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons red chili powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon brown sugar
1 scallion, chopped 


Directions

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients except cucumbers.
   
Add in cucumber slices and toss to coat.


Serve at room temperature or chilled.


Serves 2 to 4 as a side dish.