Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


I made this delicious Roasted Butternut Squash Soup for a dinner party not too long ago.  This  soup is great if you make it ahead too, which is exactly what I did the day before the dinner party.   The butternut squash, apples and onions get roasted in the oven and the honey glaze gives a wonderful caramelization.  I love how warm and comforting this soup is and it is perfect for winter.  Sorry I've been a slacker posting recipes these days - I have been hooked on Netflix watching Gossip Girl...LOL I know!  It is so addicting and I can't stop now.  Also I've been attending and hosting holiday parties so life is busy these days.  Enjoy!

 
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeds removed (I used 2 squashes.)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and quartered
2 onions, quartered
32 ounces chicken stock
1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons black pepper


Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with foil.

Place squash cut side up on baking sheet.  Place apples and onions on baking sheet.


In a small bowl, whisk oil and honey until combined. Brush squash, apples, and onions with the oil and honey mixture.


Roast in oven for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. 


When squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a large pan (I used my dutch oven) with the apples and onions. 


Stir in chicken stock, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.


Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.  

Reduce heat to low and slowly stir in cream or half and half.



Use a blender or food processor to puree the soup until smooth.   You may also use an immersion blender.  Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.



Serves 8.