Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Turkey Chili


Sorry I have been so busy lately and have not had enough time to blog my recipes.   I started a review class a couple nights a week that is work-related to obtain a certification, which is great, but it only reminds me I am not a young college student anymore.  Working all day and then having to take an evening class for another 3 hours is exhausting!  Also the class material is not easy, mostly math and sciences - another reminder that I'm rusty on the material.  The passing statistics on the certification exam is not great, less than 50% pass and in 2010 it was 39% passing of those who took it!  How crazy is that?  Anyway I'm sidetracking...back to this turkey chili, which is awesome.  It took me less than an hour to prep and cook, so not only is this an easy recipe - it is delicious!  I love that I will have plenty of leftovers for work lunches and you can also freeze any leftovers.  I served this turkey chili with cheddar cheese, that I grated myself, sliced avocados, plain greek yogurt and sliced scallions.   I also had jalapeno cheddar bread from the farmers market this week and it went really well with the turkey chili.  


In addition, for a separate meal, you can make a pasta with the turkey chili and add the same toppings.  Enjoy!


Turkey Chili
Ingredients
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, diced (yellow or red)
2 large bell peppers, diced (or 8 to 12 baby peppers)
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
4 or 6 ounce can diced fire-roasted green chiles
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or kidney beans/black beans)
11 ounce can mexicorn, drained (or whole kernel corn)
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
salt and pepper
Optional Toppings
shredded cheddar cheese
plain greek yogurt or sour cream
avocado, sliced or diced
scallions, sliced
cilantro, chopped
tortilla or corn chips



Directions

Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium–high heat.  Add diced onions, bell peppers and garlic.  Sauté for about 5 minutes.

Add in turkey and break up with wooden spoon.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook turkey until no longer pink, about 3 to 5 minutes. (Note: I added in a little cumin and chili powder to season the turkey.)


Stir in green chiles, pinto beans and corn.  



Pour in diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes.  Stir in tomato paste.


Stir in cumin and chili powder.


Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Continue to stir occasionally.

Serve in bowls with your favorite toppings.  (Serves 6 to 8)