Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Bell Pepper Quesadillas


Meatless Mondays anyone?  I had bought 3 bell peppers last week and I was thinking of what to do with them tonight.  I could only use 2 of them though, the orange one didn't look so great after a few days apparently.  Quesadillas are easy to make and you could basically put anything you want in it and add some cheese.   I actually used my toaster to oven to make them tonight since I was only making 2 of them.  If you are making more, you can use your regular oven.  I decided to make bell pepper quesadillas, and they came out surprisingly tasty!  Next time I might try to add some caramelized onions too...so feel free to do that if you have it at home.


Ingredients
4 flour tortillas
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend of cheddar, montery jack, colby and mozzarella cheeses.)
1 tablespoon olive oil


Optional Toppings
diced avocado
diced tomatoes
sour cream
salsa

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Slice the bell peppers into thin strips.



Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. 

Add in sliced peppers with cumin, salt, and pepper.  Cook peppers until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.


Place tortilla flat on a baking sheet.  Spoon a layer of peppers on the tortilla.  Top with ¼ cup cheese.  Cover with another tortilla.




Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.   Slice into quarters, it is easy if you have a pizza cutter to do this.  Top with your preferred topping(s) or serve on its own, it’s just as delicious!




Also, I wanted to have some leftovers for lunch this week, and was able to fit 3 slices into each Tupperware container.



Serves 2 or 1 with leftovers.