Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Key Lime Pie


I am going to my friend's house for dinner tonight and I was asked to bring something sweet.  I decided to make key lime pie, and its perfect since this is a light and refreshing dessert.  Since there were going to be several others at dinner, I used a 10-inch pie crust instead of the regular 9-inch.  I also doubled the recipe below, so the recipe below is for a 9-inch pie crust.  My favorite topping for key lime pie is freshly whipped cream.  You could make a meringue topping if you prefer or eat it plain, but why would you not want whipped cream on top????

 
Ingredients

1 (9-inch) premade graham cracker pie crust (You can make your own too!)
3 egg yolks
1  (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice (I always use Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice.)
Optional – zest of one lime (if you like extra tartness)

 
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lime juice.  Mix well using a wire whisk.  You can probably use a hand mixer, but its so easy whisking everything by hand.





Pour mixture into pie crust.  (I like to put the pie pan on a baking sheet to make it easier to take in/out of the oven.)  Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.  Allow to cool.  Once completely cooled, cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. 



I also like to top my key lime pies with freshly whipped cream, click here for the whipped cream topping recipe.