Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Meatballs and Tomato Sauce


My best friend from college has a great recipe from her mother for meatballs and a tomato based spaghetti sauce.  It's a family recipe and I have been sworn to secrecy!  It actually took me 8 years to get it and I'm so sorry that I can't share it with you!  But this one I am sharing with you is almost as good :)  Feel free to serve it with your favorite pasta, mine is with spaghetti.  You can also make meatball subs too.  I have eaten these with pretzel rolls to make mini meatball sandwiches for lunch.  

 
Tonight, I had spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce, served with a baked sweet potato and roasted curried cauliflower.  Buon Appetito!  


Ingredients

For the meatballs
1 pound ground beef (You can use ground turkey.)
1 pound pork sausage (You can use chicken sausage.)
1 egg
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup bread crumbs (I used Italian bread crumbs.)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon parsley (I used fresh from the tube.)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper


For the tomato sauce
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon parsley, dried
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (Add more if you like spicy.)


Directions

For the tomato sauce
In a large pot, add in all the tomatoes and water.  Add in the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley, and crushed red pepper.  Stir well and cook over low heat.  Add in meatballs and cover with a lid.  Cook for at least 30 minutes.


For the meatballs
In a large bowl, mix the ingredients together.  Roll into balls onto a baking sheet.  Broil meatballs until lightly browned, but not cooked all the way through, because you will add the meatballs into the tomato sauce to continue cooking.






Don't forget to sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top :)

Note:  I made 45 (1-inch sized) meatballs.  You can make less, but larger meatballs; just be sure to cook them a little longer.  I also froze leftovers into 2 freezer Ziploc bags, don’t forget to label and date the bags.  They should keep for a few months.