Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers

My friend Wendy came over for dinner and we made these vegetarian stuffed peppers together.  I was able to use ingredients I had already and it turned out well.  This is a nice change from the usual stuffed peppers with ground beef.   You could also make this vegetarian meal vegan by omitting the cheese.   I think next time I will add a little tomato paste, maybe a tablespoon or two to give it a bolder flavor.  I know traditional stuffed peppers usually have a tomato sauce.  Overall this is a winner and I would gladly make it again.   I served a simple salad to go along with the stuffed peppers too.  Just toss some salad greens, a diced avocado, and a sliced cucumber together with fat-free Italian dressing.  I'm happy I was able to serve Wendy a healthy dinner!

 
 
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients
4 bell peppers
2 cups rice
15 ounce can black beans
11 ounce can Mexicorn (by Green Giant)
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil

 
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.   

Cut peppers in half.  Remove tops and seeds. 

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with olive oil.  Arrange halved peppers in the baking dish.

 
In a large bowl, mix together rice, black beans, corn, cheese, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper.

 
Spoon filling into each pepper half.  Top with additional cheese if desired.


Bake 30 minutes.

 
Serve immediately.

Serves 6 to 8.