Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chinese Style Green Beans


These Chinese Style Green Beans reminds me of home.  They are a great side dish.   I blanched the green beans first but it’s not really a necessary step if you want to save time.  You would just need to sauté them longer.   I also typically like adding sliced onions to sauté with green beans but I was out of onions when making this.   I served these green beans with rice and aidells’ spicy mango and jalapeño meatballs.  I got the meatballs from Costco after tasting a sample – they always get me with the samples at Costco!  On a side note its been more difficult keeping up with this blog but I'll try to post as often as I can, life has just been more busy these days.  Having a "senior" dog with hypothyroidism and even more separation anxiety is taking a toll on me lately.  Any advice on dealing with separation anxiety, mostly constant whining/barking, will be appreciate!  Thanks!



Chinese Style Green Beans

Ingredients
1 pound green beans (I used french green beans.)
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil (You may also use vegetable or sesame oil.)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon agave (You may use sugar or honey as your sweetner.)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce (I used light soy.)


Directions

Bring a large pot of water to boiling.  Add green beans.  Cook for about 3 minutes and drain.

In the same pot, over medium high heat, add olive oil and garlic cloves.  Add in cooked green beans.


Stir in agave, oyster sauce and soy sauce.


Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes, until green beans are tender.

Serves 4 to 6.

In case you want to see how I cooked the meatballs...just saute in a pan (they are precooked so they only need to be reheated all the way through) and add them to the leftover sauce from the green beans.  How easy is that?