Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Slow Cooker Gluten-Free Beef Stew


I made this Slow Cooker Gluten Free Beef Stew for Shabbat dinner recently.  This beef stew had such amazing flavors.  You can really taste the wine, so be sure to use one you would drink or serve to guests.  I served the stew over rice to make the entire meal gluten-free.  I mostly followed the Gluten-Free Goddess Beef Stew recipe.  I googled gluten-free recipes and found the Gluten-Free Goddess and I'm a new fan!  My friend is gluten-free and I realized it wasn't that hard to serve a gluten-free meal.  I was up for a challenge but this Slow Cooker Gluten-Free Beef Stew is comforting goodness.  My apartment smelled wonderful while it was cooking too.  The beef was tender and the potatoes, carrots and celery were soft which made it really nice.  Also, any leftovers can be frozen too.  Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Gluten-Free Beef Stew

Ingredients
1.5 to 2 pounds stew beef (cubed beef)
salt
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup pearl onions (I used frozen.)
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 cup dry red wine (I used a malbec.)
4 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I used a pomegranate flavor.)
1 to 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon black pepper


Directions

Salt beef cubes on all sides.  Allow salted beef to rest while you prep the vegetables.


Heat a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil.  Brown beef cubes on all sides.  Add beef to slow cooker.

Sauté garlic, pearl onions, potatoes, carrots and celery for a few minutes in the same dutch oven.  Add vegetables to slow cooker.

Pour the wine and broth into the dutch oven to deglaze the pan.  

Stir wine and broth into the slow cooker with the beef and vegetables.  Add the balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, bay leaf and ground pepper.  Stir to combine.

Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours or low 8 to 10 hours.


Don't forget to remove the bay leaf before serving!