Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Whole Wheat Biscuits


I was feeling southern comfort food after watching an episode of Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.   Guy was eating some biscuits and gravy at one of the diners he was visiting and it looked so good!  I figured I could easily make them myself and voila I did!  I baked up some Whole Wheat Biscuits and while baking, I also made a Simple Sausage Gravy.  I'll try to post the gravy recipe soon, but this is my birthday week and I'm going to be super busy with a bunch of fun activities!  Enjoy!



Whole Wheat Biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk


Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.


In a stand mixer, combine flour mixture and shortening until crumbly.

Slowly stir in milk until dough comes together and pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Place dough onto a flour surface.  Roll out dough to 1 inch thick.  Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour.

Place biscuit onto ungreased baking pan.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  (Note:  I used my pampered chef large bar pan so it took me longer to bake about to 18 minutes.)