Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Sophie's Colcannon


My colcannon recipe is perfect for St. Patrick's day.  If you don't know what colcannon is, it is a traditional Irish dish of mashed potatoes and cabbage (or kale).  Colcannon is such a warm, filling side dish.  I saw several recipes online that required just boiling the cabbage but I love the taste of sauteed cabbage with onions.  I would add some bacon too if I had any.  I served my colcannon with my mini meatloaves and it was perfection on a cold snowy day.  We had a snow day on Wednesday but it was a bust since DC hardly got any snow.  All we got was slush and everything gets shutdown in DC.  Lucky for me I got to stay home since work was closed, woohoo!  Buddy and Ellie were happy to just stay in and snuggle.  I'm still waiting for Buddy's blood test results and hopefully I will know if his thyroid meds are at the right dosage.  I was told by the vet that if its too high, he could be more anxious which could explain why he's been crying/whining at the door in the mornings when I leave for work.  Poor guy, he misses me so much and luckily I got to stay home an extra day this week.  Make colcannon soon and enjoy!


Sophie’s Colcannon

Ingredients
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
¼ to ½ cup milk
½ cabbage, shredded
½ onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste


Directions

In a saucepan, add diced potatoes and cover with cold water.   Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.  (If you can pierce the potatoes easily with a fork then they are done.)

Drain water from potatoes.  In the same saucepan or a bowl, add 2 tablespoons and ¼ cup milk to potatoes.  Mash with a fork or potato masher.  Add in additional milk if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a large pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter.  Add in onions and cabbage.  Sauté for about 10 to 15 minutes or until onions and cabbage are tender and lightly browned.   

Add mashed potatoes to onions and cabbage.   Stir to combine.  Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.

Serves 4.