Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins


I realized I haven't baked anything in awhile and I had to use up a couple of very ripe bananas.  I came across a Banana-Walnut Muffins recipe from Rachel Ray's magazine.  Here is the official recipe since I did change it up with what I had.  Overall the muffins were good, moist and I even like the walnuts in it.  I don't typically add nuts to many baked goods but the walnuts were good in these muffins.  I added in the chocolate chips because any baked banana goodies I make has to have chocolate of course.   I brought these banana walnut chocolate chip muffins to work to share with my lucky coworkers.  Enjoy! 



Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (or use all-purpose flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup chocolate chips
1 cup mashed banana (2 ripe bananas)
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a muffin pan with baking liners.

In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, baking powder, salt, remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, walnuts and chocolate chips.

In a small bowl, combine banana, yogurt, and egg.  Stir in melted butter.

Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until combined.


Fill each lined muffin cup with batter.  Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.


Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.  It is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.