Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Birthday Eats!

It was my birthday on Friday and I've been celebrating all weekend!  It has been great.  I feel so lucky to have such great family and friends, thank you for making my birthday feel so special.  Here is a recap of my weekend - I had so much fun!  If you have been following me on my instagram or facebook page, you might see repeat foodie pictures, but doesn't it all look delicious? 

My work BFF planned lunch with my coworkers at Buffalo Wild Wings (BWW) - http://www.buffalowildwings.com

I had the boneless wings with mild sauce, fries and blue cheese dressing.  I'm not a fan of anything super spicy so the mild sauce was perfect for me.  Also I am particular about my french fries and I was surprised at how good they were at BWW -  I love thin cut french fries so these were good!  I also got a free slice of chocolate cake for my birthday :)


  
Monuments by Moonlight Cruise in Georgetown by DC Cruises - http://www.dc-cruises.com/index.php

My BFF Cindy planned the night and we went on a fun cruise departing from the Georgetown waterfront and it was beautiful.  We missed out on the cherry blossoms since they were originally going to be at the peak during my birthday but was pushed back.  The DC weather has been crazy lately and March was cooler than usual this year.   We went at a great time thought and saw the sunset and the lighted monuments.  It was absolutely beautiful!



I got the Seafood Cioppino – scallops, mussels, shrimp, clams, fin fish & lobster, potato & corn on the cob, cassava, tomato, fennel & orange broth.  It was absolutely delicious! 


The waiter brought me a birthday dessert - chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream!  My second of the day haha!


On Saturday, my brother and sister-in-law took me to lunch at Al Dente - http://aldentedc.com

We are foodies as a family and we like to share, and wait till you check out everything we ordered!  Of course we shared everything, lucky me :)

Cold Antipasti - Imported Burrata Cheese with Prosciutto di Parma and Chestnut Honey.  This may have been one of my favorites!  It was delicious with the house bread they offered us.


Pappardelle with Braised Oxtail Ragu - this was my dish.  I am a fan of house made pasta at Italian restaurants and I will usually pick pappardelle or tagliatelle if available.


Squid Ink Fettuccine with Fresh Water Head-on Peeled Shrimp and Tomato Sauce - this was my sister-in-law's entree and the shrimp was so fresh!


Roasted Loin of Monkfish with Pancetta over Black Ink Farro and Braised Creamed Onions - this was my brother's pick and it was overall a great dish.  I really enjoyed the black ink farro too.

  
Pizza - Margherita D.O.C.  Sorry I didn't get a picture of this but it was really good - Al Dente has a beautiful wood burning pizza oven right in the middle of the restaurant.  I am regretting not taking a picture of the pizza and the oven :( 


Ready for the desserts?

Hemisphere Tiramisu Hot Chocolate Sauce and Caramelized Hazelnuts - you can't go wrong with tiramisu.


Salame di Cioccolato Thin Slices of Chocolate - Terrine Style, served with Cold Zabalione Sauce. This was the dessert recommended by our waiter and it was surprisingly good.  My brother actually thought we were going to get chocolate covered salami meat!  LOL  That was not the case because it was chocolate with cookie pieces.  The Zabalione sauce, an alcohol infused custard, was delicious!


House Made Gelati – Pistachio, it was very much pistachio flavored, not too sweet either.



Espresso (reminds me of Italy)


I had a birthday dinner with my mom at Muay Thai Sports Eatery (formerly known as Amina Thai).  This is a local favorite restaurant near my parents which recently changed names and the entire style of the restaurant became even more informal.  I don't know if I like the change, I prefer the old Amina Thai.  We started off with thai iced teas and got the following to share:

Pad Thai - chicken with thin rice noodles, stir fried with fresh bean sprouts, red bean curd, scallions, eggs, topped with crushed peanuts and fresh bean sprouts.  I used to always get the shrimp pad thai but they didn't offer it on the menu since the restaurant has changed.


Pad See Ew - chicken stir-fried with fresh wide rice noodles, eggs, and broccoli in Thai sweet soy sauce.


Fried Banana - banana wrapped in rice paper, deep-fried, topped with honey or chocolate syrup.   It reminds me of a spring roll but with bananas haha.  They served us this dessert on the house too :)


I went out to a birthday brunch on Sunday with my other BFF Sarah and her family and another friend.   We went to Chef Geoff’s - http://www.chefgeoff.com/menu/chef-geoffs

We went to Restaurant Mez – http://www.allmenus.com/va/arlington/267512-restaurant-mez---marriott-crystal-gateway/menu/lunch/

Mediterranean Chicken Salad - organic grown vegetables, greens, whole wheat croutons, fresh mozzarella cheese, with red wine vinaigrette.  This is the only thing I've ever had at Restaurant Mez ever since a coworker recommended it.  My goal is to recreate this salad soon; I already wrote down everything I ate that was in the salad so look out for the recipe soon!  The waitress also brought out a 7-layer chocolate cake for dessert with a candle but I forgot to take a picture.

 
I can finally say my birthday is officially over until next year...back to healthy eating and no more desserts...for awhile haha!  Thank you to all the wonderful people in my life!