Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Pesto Stuffed Shells


I love pesto and these pesto stuffed shells are delicious!  This is one of the meals I am making and freezing for my brother and sister-in-law.  The frozen meals will help them out post-baby when they don't have much time or are too tired to cook anything.  I used my homemade tomato sauce with ground turkey for these pesto stuffed shells.  I do have several other homemade tomato sauce recipes, such as this basil tomato sauce and easy tomato sauce.  Feel free to use what you have too, store bought sauce works just as well.   I really hope my brother and sister-in-law will enjoy this meal!  I will soon be posting a few freezer friendly slow cooker meals that I made for my brother and sister-in-law too - these are perfect for any expectant friends, families or if you like having meals ready to go.



Pesto Stuffed Shells

Ingredients
12 ounces jumbo pasta shells, cooked (about 1/2 box)
15 ounces ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 to 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray two 8x8 inch baking dishes with cooking spray and spread 1 cup of tomato sauce on bottom of each baking dish.  (You may use a 13x9 inch baking dish.)

In a medium bowl, beat eggs.  Add ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and pesto to combine.


Spoon filling into each pasta shell.  

Arrange stuffed pasta shells in baking dish.   Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese on top if desired.

Cover with foil and baking for 30 to 40 minutes.


Freezer Option:  You may prepare the stuffed shells ahead of time and place in a freezer bag (without the tomato sauce).  When ready to bake, there is no need to defrost, just place in baking dish with tomato sauce and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.