Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Crunchy Asparagus


I was watching the show Guy's Big Bite earlier this week and he made "Crunch Crazy Asparagus Spears" and I knew I had to make it ASAP.   Here is Guy Fieri's original recipe posted on the Food Network.  How can you resist a crunchy asparagus?  I changed his recipe slightly and it came out wonderful.  I also baked them in my convection toaster oven since I only made half a pound of asparagus.  You can easily double the recipe by adding another egg and another cup of panko crumbs.  The asparagus came out crunchy and it was hard to not eat them all at once!  I will have to try making other vegetables this way.   Also, this could make a great appetizer if not a side dish.  Enjoy!


Crunchy Asparagus
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
½  pound asparagus, ends trimmed
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a bowl (large enough to fit an asparagus spear), whisk together egg, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.

In a separate dish (I used an 8x8 baking dish), mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, paprika, and garlic powder.


Dip each asparagus spear in the egg wash.

 
Next, coat each spear in the seasoned panko breadcrumbs.

 
Place the spears on a wire rake over a baking sheet. 

 
Lightly drizzle olive oil over the spears so they will get crispy.

 
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes until golden brown and crispy. 

 
Serve immediately.

Note: I did have some leftovers the next day and reheated by toasting them in the toaster oven.  Guess what, they are still crunchy!