Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Rice bowl with Garlicky Broccolini and Poached Egg


Easy Meatless Monday...a rice bowl with garlicky broccolini and a poached egg on top!  I don't count eggs as meat (unless you are vegan and I am not) because under kashrut, or Jewish dietary laws, eggs are considered pareve, neither meat nor dairy.  I bought the broccolini at the farmers market too so they must be in season.  I am also super excited to have figured out a way to make easy poached eggs, using poachpods!  I recently bought a set of poachpods which is a silicone egg poaching tool.  They are awesome and now I use them every time I made poached eggs.  You definitely have to follow the directions which say to oil the pods before you place an egg in it.  This will ensure the poached egg slides out of the pod easily.  I haven't mess one up yet!  Its worth the $10 investment if you want perfectly poached eggs every time.  

This rice bowl is simple and delicious, I love the crispy garlic and poached egg mixed with the rice.  Enjoy!


 
Ingredients
rice, cooked (I use a rice cooker to make rice.)
1 bunch of broccolini
1 garlic clove, minced
egg, poached
1 tablespoon olive oil




Directions

For the garlicky broccolini

Place broccolini in a pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until broccolini is tender and turns bright green.  Drain broccolini.  Return pan to stovetop over medium heat and add olive oil.  Add garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until lightly browned.  Add broccolini to pan and coat in oil and garlic. 



 
For the poached egg

In a pan, bring water to a simmer, not boiling.   

Crack an egg into an oiled pod and float them in the simmering water for about 5 to 7 minutes.  Cover with a lid.  I set a timer for 5 minutes then I start watching it.  Use a slotted spoon to remove pod from water.  The poached egg should slide right out of the pod. 






Scoop some rice in a bowl.  Top with garlicky broccolini.  Top the broccolini with a poached egg.  Serve immediately.