Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Homemade Nutty Bars


Remember nutty bars as a kidI haven't had one in years and when I saw the recipe posted on theKitchn,  I knew I had to try to make it!  I already had leftover matzot from passover and this was the perfect way to use some of it.  The recipe called for creamy peanut butter, but I tried it with crunchy peanut butter and I liked it too.  You really can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter together.  I could see possibly trying this recipe with saltine crackers, graham crackers, or thin cookie wafers.  These homemade nutty bars came out delicious and are probably much healthier than the store bought version!

 
Ingredients

matzo sheets, plain
peanut butter (I used both creamy and crunchy.)
semisweet chocolate chips 

 
Directions

Break matzo sheets into long pieces, about an inch wide.  I used a serrated bread knife to cut sheets as evenly as possible. I can't say this part is easy to do...

Spread peanut butter onto a piece of matzo.

 
Add another piece of matzo on top of the peanut butter. 

 
Spread peanut butter on top of that matzo and top with another piece of matzo.

 
You will have 3 matzo layers.  Place onto a parchment/wax paper lined sheet pan. 
 
Repeat those steps for however many bars you want to make. 

In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips for 1 to 2 minutes.  Stir every 30 seconds; be sure to not burn the chocolate!

 
I used the back of a spoon to spread a layer of chocolate over the top and sides of each matzo bar.  If you are fancy, you can draw patterns on top of the chocolate covered bars using a toothpick.




Chill the bars in the refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.  



Also since I had peanut butter out and 3 doggies watching me, I had to put a little peanut butter in some dog bones for them!


 Waiting patiently...

 This is Roscoe, his parents are on vacation so he gets to stay with Buddy and Ellie for a whole week!


 Ellie can't wait to get all that peanut butter!


Buddy is enjoying his peanut butter filled bone!