Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Pizza Dough


TGIF!  I love not working on Fridays since it gives me more time to actually cook.  I have never tried to make homemade pizza before but I was motivated after I saw a simple recipe for homemade pizza dough. I adapted the pizza dough recipe from Money Saving Mom.  What is great is that you can freeze this pizza dough to use later, so I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.  I actually doubled the recipe to make homemade pizza pockets!  I will post the recipe to those soon, which I also adapted from Money Saving Mom.   I had no idea how easy it was to make homemade pizza dough, so I hope you try it if you haven't before.  Happy Friday!


 
Ingredients
1 tablespoon active dry yeast (I used Red Star yeast from Costco.)
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F.)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
2 ½ cups flour 
cornmeal (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a large bowl, add yeast and warm water. (I  warmed the water in the microwaved for about 45 seconds.)  Use a whisk to dissolve the yeast in the water. 



Next add in the remaining ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.


 
Knead dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.


 
Roll out dough and press down onto a greased pizza pan or stone.  (I actually just flipped a baking sheet over and used the underside to bake the pizza.)  You can also dust your baking pan with some cornmeal to add texture to your pizza crust.

 
Add your favorite toppings! I spooned the tomato sauce and added sliced golden beets and fresh mozzarella cheese. (I love beets and I will post how I cook beets soon too!)




Baked for about 15 minutes until edges of crust are lightly browned.


 
You can also double or triple this pizza dough and freeze the extras if you don’t need it.  Just defrost in the fridge in the morning and it should be ready for dinnertime.