Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Baked Yellow Squash with Tomato

Summer time means an abundance of fresh squash in gardens!  I got some yellow straightneck squash from my friend's garden and I adapted this recipe from The Kitchn's Baked Summer Squash recipe.  You could use whatever summer squash you have, such as:   zucchini, pattypan squash (white squash), or yellow squash (crookneck and/or straight).  I added tomatoes to my baked yellow squash just because I had some and I like fresh tomatoes.  This baked yellow squash recipe with tomato is wonderful with the crisp bread crumb topping.  This dish is fresh tasting and a great summer time side dish.  Enjoy!


   
Baked Yellow Squash with Tomato

Ingredients
2 pounds yellow squash, sliced (I used 3 small squashes.)
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup bread crumbs (I used ¼ panko and ¼ italian bread crumbs.)
½ cup parmesan cheese
3 small tomatoes, sliced (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh basil (optional)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.

Remove stem ends of squash and slice in ¼ inch thick rounds.  Toss with olive oil.



Slice tomatoes and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.


Arrange half the squash rounds in bottom of baking dish.   Layer tomato slices over squash.  Sprinkle with half the bread crumb mixture.




Arrange remaining squash rounds on top and sprinkle with remaining bread crumb mixture.



Cover baking dish with foil.  Bake for 30 minutes. 


Remove foil and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until top bread crumb layer is lightly browned.



Top with chopped fresh basil and serve.




Serves 6.