Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Caprese Salad Pizza


I love caprese salads, especially in the summer time.  I threw this pizza together with ingredients I already had on hand and it came out perfect.  I wanted to use up the rest of my salad mix so you could make this pizza without the "salad" part if you want.  I also wanted to mix up the fresh mozzarella with the shredded mozzarella, it made the pizza extra cheesy and that wasn't bad at all :)  I absolutely love the taste of grape tomatoes from the farmers market, the ones at the grocery store do not taste the same at all.  The tomatoes from the farmers market are sweet and fresh, while the ones from the store taste bland.   If only I had a yard so I can have a garden!  That's the downside of city living, so I'll just have to rely on the farmers market for now.  


-->
Caprese Salad Pizza

Ingredients
1 batch homemade pizza dough, recipe here
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
½ pound fresh bocconcini mozzarella, halved
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
½ cup salad mix
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt
freshly ground black pepper


 
Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Roll out dough and press down onto a greased baking sheet. 



 
Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on pizza dough.  Spread minced garlic on top of pizza dough.

 
Bake for 5 minutes so garlic is lightly roasted.

Remove pizza from oven and top with grape tomatoes and mozzarella cheeses.


 
Bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes until edges of dough are crisp and cheese is melted


Top with basil and salad mix.

 
Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.




 
Best served immediately.

Serves 2 to 4.