Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saffron Rice


I finally bought saffron because I have been thinking about making saffron rice for so long.  I love the flavor and aroma of the saffron in the rice.  It also adds a beautiful color to the dish.   It is surprisingly easy to make, especially because I made it in my rice cooker!  My rice cooker actually has a saute button so I was able to saute the rice with the butter before I set it on the cook button.  I think next time I will add in onions and garlic to give it an extra savory flavor.  This saffron rice makes a great side dish!



Saffron Rice 

Ingredients
1 ½ cups jasmine rice
2 ½ cups chicken broth (You may substitute vegetable broth or water.)
1 pinch saffron
2 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter



Directions

In a small bowl, place saffron and add hot water.  Let soak for 10 minutes.


Rinse rice well so that water runs clear.

In a rice cooker, using the sauté option (if available), add in rinsed rice and butter.


Sauté until butter melts and coats the rice.


Turn on the cook rice option and add in chicken broth and salt.  Pour in saffron with the hot water.


Stir and let cook in rice cooker. Fluff rice with a fork before serving.



Serves 4.