Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fleurir Hand Grown Chocolates

Fleurir Hand Grown Chocolates is little chocolate shop that I discovered recently in Georgetown, a neighborhood in Washington DC.  It was recommended by a friend and I finally checked it out with my sister-in-law.  I love that they make each chocolate by hand.  Their shop is beautiful and fits right in with the surrounding Georgetown boutiques.  Fleurir offers boxed chocolates, chocolate bars, cocoa mix, and crispy honeycomb.  They are located at 3235 P Street NW off Wisconsin Avenue.  Here is their website for additional information: http://www.fleurirchocolates.com/

My friend recommended the crispy honeycomb so of course I bought a box of it.  It was delicious!






The crispy honeycomb was sweet and crunchy.  I love that the honeycomb candy was covered in chocolate.  I actually never heard of honeycomb candy before so I did a little research on Wikipedia.  Cadbury makes "Crunchie" bars and Nestle makes "Violet Crumble" bars, which are similar to the crispy honeycomb offered at Fleurir.  The texture in the honeycomb is unique and is made typically when carbon dioxide is trapped in the candy mixture.  How cool is that?

I also got a standard 4 piece box of chocolates.




The chocolate flavors I got were (upper right clockwise) Wattleseed Toffee, Carrot Cake, Sesame Hazelnut, and Coconut Lime.  They were all delicious!  Fleurir offers several other flavors, so next time I will have to try different ones.  While I was in the store, I was able to try the Lavender Shiraz.  You can taste every flavor in these chocolates.  Here is a list of their flavors from the website: http://www.fleurirchocolates.com/flavors.

I didn't purchase any of the chocolate bars, but I did taste test a few.  I tried one that had bacon in it!  Yes, bacon!  It was surprisingly good, especially if you like salty and sweet :)

If you are in the Georgetown DC area, you should try the chocolates at Fleurir.   I can't wait to go back for more crispy honeycomb and to try more chocolate flavors!