Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Lancaster County Dutch Market


The Lancaster County Dutch Market in Germantown, Maryland was having a Pig Roast and Chicken BBQ this weekend.  I actually had no idea until I drove up because I was craving one of their freshly baked pretzels.  This is an Amish market that is only open Thursdays through Saturdays.   They sell produce, meat, cheese, baked goods, candy, and furniture.  There is also a restaurant inside this market if you want a sit down meal.   Most people go for their famous fried chicken and soft pretzels because they are that good.  If you go on a Saturday, you will be waiting in line but it moves relatively quickly.   I didn’t get any fried chicken this weekend but I’ve had it before and it really is the best. 

I got a cinnamon and sugar pretzel (my favorite) and a sausage and cooper cheese pretzel.  I have never tried the sausage and cooper cheese pretzel before but the guy in front of me literally bought 5 of them so I thought it has to be good.  And yes it was and I will definitely be getting it again.



 
I also visited their bakery and got a loaf of their Gourmet Apple Bread.  This is like dessert for breakfast, and right up my alley.



I wasn’t going to get anything from the Pig Roast, but I saw the line and thought why not.  I posted a picture from their Pig Roast on my Sophie in the Kitchen Facebook page.  They were selling pulled pork sandwiches with sides of baked beans, coleslaw or fries.  You could also purchase the pulled pork in pints or quarts.   I got a sandwich with a side of coleslaw and they gave such a huge portion!   I had to take half the pulled pork off my sandwich, but I saved it so I can make another sandwich later.  It was delicious, and their sauce was finger licking good.   While I was in line, I noticed that most people were purchasing quarts of the pulled pork.  I guess they want to stock up since the Pig Roast is only done once or twice a year.  I was so lucky I finally got to try their Pig Roast since I’ve heard it about the last couple of years. 





According to their Amish Market Facebook page, they won’t have another Pig Roast until next May 2013!