Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Mom's Birthday Dinner

My mom’s birthday was last week and we went out for a family dinner at Wong Gee, a Chinese Restaurant in Wheaton, Maryland.  If you are not familiar with the area, Wheaton and Silver Spring, Maryland has many Chinese restaurants that are “authentic” Chinese.  I tried to get a few pictures but we were all hungry!  Since there was 11 of us altogether at dinner, we had many dishes, including the following:

1. BBQ Meat Platter (Roast Pork, Duck and Chicken)
2. Fish Maw with Crab Meat Soup 
3. Kingdom Pork Chop
4. Sautéed Two Lobsters with Ginger and Scallion
5. Fried Chicken Hong Kong Style

6. Sliced Abalone, Black Mushroom with Vegetable
7. Shrimp with Walnuts
8. Sautéed Flounder Fillet with Vegetable

 
9. Diced Chicken with Salted Fish & Bean Curd in Clay Pot


For dessert, we had a red bean soup and since it was my mom’s birthday, an extra platter of dim sum style buns.   The buns are not normally served at dinner, only during dim sum. One of the chefs is a friend of my parents and he knows how to make these buns, because it is a specialty for a chef to know how to make dim sum dishes.  We had both steamed lotus seed paste buns and baked custard buns.  Most Chinese desserts are not sweet, such as the red bean soup, but I love the custard buns.  They were freshly made and delicious!

I think my mom had a wonderful birthday because she loves spending time with her family and enjoying good Chinese food!

 My mom and I at my brother's wedding this year.